On May 24, 2019
Meet Our Designer at High-Proof Creative — Janelle H.
Here’s your chance to learn a bit about one of our designers at High-Proof Creative! Janelle discovered that her passion for graphic design is the perfect pairing of lifelong creative pursuits and her technical and mathematical side, and we’re thankful she followed those passions and joined us here at High-Proof Creative. Check out Janelle’s Instagram to view these creative pursuits.
“Before moving to Portland five years ago, I received a BA in mathematics and worked for a few years at a national laboratory assisting power-systems researchers. During my time in Portland I worked as an administrator for Opal Creek Ancient Forest Center, and in a liquor store, and a tasting room for a local distillery. I have a wide range of experience, and I am so excited to bring that all with me as I launch my graphic design career.”
My largest project at the moment is refining my portfolio. You can see my portfolio work at JanelleHammerstrom.com.
I have also recently worked on:
- Labels for Honeybee Lemonade Syrups as they prepare to release new products.
- Several informational brochures for Host Healthcare.
- Podcast Cover for Inception with Mike Edelhart, managing partner of Social Starts and Joyance Partners
- Illustrated cover for Alchemy literary magazine published by PCC.
Favorite Beverages Right Now:
- Citrus-forward IPA’s
- Gin and tonics (I just got a bottle of Wild Roots gin that I’m trying to make last.)
- Kentucky mule (with Old Taylor Bourbon—my favorite whiskey when money is tight)
- As the weather warms I’m excited to start guzzling cold brew coffee once again!
- I’ve played bassoon since the 7th grade, and for many years now I’ve been a member of the Mid-Columbia Symphony in Richland, Washington. At the beginning of June we are performing Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 7 “Leningrad”. So, when I’m not on my computer designing I’ve been practicing for that concert.
- I really enjoy distance running, but I’ve fallen out of practice. I’m thinking about signing up for the Portland Marathon this year for some motivation.
- One of my goals is to illustrate a children’s book one day. My favorite things to draw are strange and unusual little characters, and I’ve always been told my style would be perfect for a children’s book.
- I avidly collect ghost stories, although I have none of my own.
- I was born in Montana.
- I really love anything miniature, especially like Tiny Kitchen on YouTube.
- I have been drawing since I was very young, and I have the picture to prove it.